Now considered a prime example of early California Arts and Crafts architecture, the Duncan-Irwin House (1906) began as a modest cottage owned by a seamstress named Katherine Duncan. She sold the house to wealthy New Yorker Theodore Irwin Jr. and his family who enlisted famed architects Charles and Henry Greene in a grand expansion.
The result was an eight-bedroom, 5,982-square-foot residence, "a jewel in the crown of the Crown City," reads the listing in reference to Pasadena's nickname.
A seminal Craftsman masterwork by the MIT-educated brothers Charles Sumner Greene (1868–1957) and Henry Mather Greene (1870–1954), the Duncan-Irwin House is an early example of the Greenes’ signature "ultimate bungalow" style, manifested later in the celebrated Gamble House (1908-09) and other notable homes preserved throughout Pasadena. There are sweeping overhangs, a pergola covered in wisteria and a layered facade lit with lanterns.
Original features abound from wisteria-vine stained glass windows to rich woodwork and ornate hardware.
The house is registered on the National Register of Historic Places and benefits from its inclusion on the Mills Act—providing an offset of the tax basis for preservation of select historic attributes. The property also includes a guest house, pool and three-car garage. The listing is with Sotheby's International Realty.