ArtfixDailytm News Feed


Neustadt Opens Up Its 250,000-Piece Tiffany Glass Archive For Tours

11 December 2018
Tiffany glass fragments
Tiffany glass fragments
(The Neustadt)

The public can now go on tours of the world's largest archive of glass remnants from Tiffany Studios. From December through February, twice a month, the non-profit Neustadt is offering hour-and-a-half-long tours to preregistered groups, capped at six people, reports AD.

The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass, in Queens, New York, is known for its holdings of lamps, windows and metalwork created at the Tiffany Studios (1902-1932) in New York City. But in a warehouse, the Neustadt also has an enormous, one-of-a-kind archive of more than a quarter of a million examples of flat glass and glass “jewels” salvaged after the Tiffany Studios closed. These remarkable works were amassed by museum founder Dr. Egon Neustadt (1898-1984) over the course of his incredible fifty-year collecting career. More on the archive here.

On view now, The Neustadt has mounted a special focus exhibition exploring Louis C. Tiffany’s groundbreaking achievements in iridescent art glass. Presented in The Neustadt Gallery at the Queens Museum, Queens, New York, Tiffany’s Iridescence: Glass in Rainbow Hues continues to October 6, 2019. The exhibition explores the science and artistry behind Tiffany’s iridescent sheet and blown glass, and is curated by Morgan Albahary, Assistant Curator, The Neustadt, in consultation with Dr. Gregory Merkel, Research Fellow, Corning, Inc., and Trustee at The Neustadt.

Read more at AD