Nazmiyal Collection is the world’s source for antique rugs and decorative carpets. Since 1980 Nazmiyal has supplied some of the top interior designers, vendors, auction houses, museums and collectors across the globe.
15 Tips For Decorating With Antique Rugs
15 Tips for Decorating with Antique Rugs by Nazmiyal Collection
How to Decorate with Antique Rugs
Decorating with Antique Carpets – Adding an antique carpet to an interior space can drastically change the look of a room. While there are many different styles of antique rugs and vintage carpets to choose from, there are some tried-and-true rules to follow when it comes to choosing the size and placement of your rug. Below are Nazmiyal Collection’s tips for choosing the right rug for your space.
1. To determine what size rug to buy, measure your room’s width and length, and then subtract 2 to 3 feet from each dimension. Using a rug that is between 2 and 3 feet smaller than the area of your room will make the space feel more open and balanced.
2. If you plan on using heavily patterned wallpaper or upholstery, keep your rug subdued. The opposite is true if you choose a busily patterned rug — keep the ornamentation on your accent furniture and walls minimal. This contrast will keep your room from feeling overwhelmingly hectic.
3. Natural fiber rugs are the most resilient. The smartest choice for a rug that will last is always wool or silk rather than synthetic fibers, which age more rapidly.
4. If you plan to place heavy furniture (like a sofa, or dining table) on top of a rug, always try to use furniture coasters. Glass coasters will distribute the weight of the furniture better, which will help stop the weight from crushing your rug’s pile.
5. Use long, rectangular rugs in rooms like bathrooms and kitchens to create a visual “path”. This adds both interest and a sense of order to your space.
6. In sitting areas, make sure at least the front two legs of your chairs or sofas sit on your rug. This helps the furniture and rug seem “anchored,” and creates a sense of harmony.
7. Rug pads are always a good idea: They help keep your rug from slipping out of place, and add an extra layer of protection from damage to hardwood floors.
8. Try using a rug as a wall hanging! It’s a great way to add visual interest and warmth to your room, and also helps to dampen sound between thinner walls.
9. In areas with higher traffic, selecting a rug with a pattern reduces the appearance of wear and makes damage less noticeable.
10. To make your hallways appear larger, use a runner rug that is approximately 4 inches narrower and 18-24 inches longer than the dimensions of the hallway.
11. When placing a rug underneath a dining table, ensure that there is an extra 2 feet of carpet around all sides of the rug, to enable diners entering or exiting the table to pull out their chairs without getting caught or tripping over the edge of the rug.
12. Smaller rugs look great at the foot or side of a bed; just make sure that the width of the rug is at least 1 foot longer than the width of the bed, or else the rug will look disproportionately small.
13. One way to achieve the impact of a colorful rug on a more modest budget is to layer a colorful and patterned small rug over a larger neutral mat in a complementary shade.
14. Make sure to consider any floor vents, electrical outlets, or door frame in your space before selecting your rug. These may pose unwelcome obstacles if they are not taken into account!
15. Handmade rugs, as opposed to machine-made rugs, are generally more durable and last longer. Although in some cases hand-made rugs are more expensive, their value becomes apparent over the years that they last.
More posts from Nazmiyal Collection
The recorded history of the civilization of the area now known as Iran stretches back to the third millennium BCE, and their textile production goes back even farther. Situated between ...
NEW YORK, NY.- The interior design firm Leleu, named for the family who founded it, was one of the most prominent and well-respected design houses of the 20th century. From furniture ...
To View Full Article with Images, visit the Nazmiyal Design Blog. Antique Rugs Inspired by Fashion – At Nazmiyal, we believe that style extends to every aspect of life, from the way ...
View Photographs from Nineteenth Century India and Browse Indian Rugs From the Same Period Nineteenth-Century Indian Photography and Indian Rugs – On view currently at the Metropolitan ...