The Cultural Landscape Foundation (TCLF) has announced “Masks for Unity,” an online auction of masks designed by landscape architects, architects and other design professionals that will take place June 15-29, 2020. Blank unadorned white pleated cotton masks were handmade by Alissa Ujie Diamond, a doctoral student in the Program in the Constructed Environment at the University of Virginia. More than 40 design professionals were invited to transform the blank white cotton masks into unique works of art. No restrictions or specifications were imposed. For each mask created for TCLF’s online auction, a mask was made and donated to MASK UP in Charlottesville, VA, and to essential workers. The online auction will benefit TCLF’s educational and advocacy initiatives. Bidders can register today.
“As landscape architect Ken Smith wrote: ‘Social distantancing does not mean anti-social,’” said Charles A. Birnbaum, TCLF’s President and CEO. “We hope that these masks – whether through humor or solemnity – provide a common, unifying bond during this challenging period of great turmoil.”
Bidding in the “Masks for Unity” auction will begin on Monday, June 15, 2020, and will conclude on Monday, June 29, 2020. Bidding will be conducted exclusively online – Register Today. Bidding starts at $100 per mask.
A digital auction gallery guide (browse) will include photographs of each mask, artists’ statements, and biographies.
The participating design professionals:
- Tiffany Beamer, OLIN
- Kofi Boone, North Carolina State College of Design
- Pamela Burton, Pamela Burton & Company, and Richard Hertz
- Robert “Bob” Chipman, Robert Chipman Landscape Architect
- Shane Coen, Coen+Partners
- Stuart “Stu” Dawson, Sasaki
- Michelle Jeffery Delk, Snøhetta
- Angela Dye, A Dye Design
- Gina Ford, Agency Landscape + Planning
- Frederick Fisher, Frederick Fisher and Partners
- M. Paul Friedberg, MPF&P, and Dorit Shahar
- Adriaan Geuze, West 8 Urban Design & Landscape Architecture, and the West 8 Design Studio
- Lisa Gimmy, Lisa Gimmy Landscape Architecture
- Deb Guenther, Dakota Keene, Dorothy Faris, and Tim Molette-Parks, Mithun
- Ron Henderson, IIT College of Architecture
- Gary Hilderbrand, Reed-Hilderbrand
- Walter Hood, Hood Design Studio
- William “Bill” Johnson, University of Michigan (ret.)
- Mark Johnson, Civitas
- Mia Lehrer, Studio-MLA, and Michael Lehrer, Lehrer Architects LA
- Phoebe Lickwar, FORGE Landscape Architecture
- Joeb Moore, Joeb Moore & Partners
- Oehme van Sweden
- Laurie Olin, OLIN
- James Richards, University of Texas at Arlington
- Mark Rios and Nate Cormier, Rios Clemente Hale Studios
- Martha Schwartz, Martha Schwartz Partners
- Ken Smith, Ken Smith Workshop
- Lauren and Stephen Stimson, Stephen Stimson Associates Landscape Architects, Inc.
- Christine Ten Eyck, Ten Eyck Landscape Architects
- Victor F. “Trey” Trahan III, Trahan Architects
- Michael Van Valkenburgh, Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates, Inc.
- Susan Van Atta, Van Atta Associates, Inc., and Ken Radtkey, Blackbird Architects, Inc.
- Michael Vergason, Michael Vergason Landscape Architects, Ltd.
- Edwina von Gal, Edwina von Gal + Co
- Marion Weiss and Michael Manfredi, Weiss/Manfredi
- Marcel Wilson, Bionic
- Thomas Woltz, Nelson Byrd Woltz
- Sara Zwede, Studio Zwede