TILE PANEL WITH PEACOCK BY FREDERICK HURTEN RHEAD FOR UNIVERSITY CITY REALIZES $637,500.
“Hurricane Sandy, bearing down on us, made only slightly more noise than the results of the auction,” says David Rago. “The sale grossed $6.6 mil and the market, especially for high end Arts and Crafts, was very, very solid. The Rhead tile gets the headlines but many records were broken for a number of American potteries. The Forbes sale was strong almost right across the board, hammering right in the middle of the estimate range.”
The Rhead tile sale topples the auction record set in November 1999 with the sale of Barbara Streisand's Gustav Stickley sideboard at Christie's for $596,500. The buyer is the Two Red Roses Foundation of Palm Harbor Florida, a non-profit educational institution dedicated to the acquisition, restoration, and public exhibition of important examples of decorative and fine art from the American Arts & Crafts movement.
Rago Arts and Auction Center's 20th /21st C. Design sale: $6.6 million, October 26, 27 and 28, 2012.
- Bidders in-house: 143
- Bidders on phone: 306
- Bidders online: 527 (20th C. Pottery and Glass); 652 (Early 20th C.); 1074 (Modern)
- Number of lots: 1703
- Percent sold: 82%
Early 20th C. Design/Arts & Crafts: October 26 and 27, 2012
- Hammer: $2,746,345
- Hammer + 25% buyer's premium: $ 3,432,931
- Forbes estimates: Low: $345,200; High: $501,700
- Main Arts and Crafts estimates: Low: $1,405,300; High: $1,991,950
- 20th C. Pottery and Glass estimates: Low: $217,300; High: $318,250
- Percent sold: 85%
- 8% of online bidders outside the U.S.: UK, Canada, Europe, Russia, Asia, Australia, Central America, South America, Middle East.
Friday's Pottery and Glass Highlighted Lots:
1. 433 Tiffany Studios Favrile Vase $ 10,625
2. 469 Mary Scheier "Square Dancers" $ 5,000
3. 457 Bohemian five art glass vases $ 2,875
4. 374a Galloway (attr.) Pair of Tall Garden Urns $ 2,375
5. 381 Roblin Rare Enameled Cabinet Vase $ 2,375
Saturday’s Arts and Crafts Highlighted Lots:
1. 542 Frederick Hurten Rhead University City Peacock Tile $ 637,500
2. 932 Tiffany Studios Rare tall floriform vase $ 100,000
3. 1 Dard Hunter Important and Unique Hall Chair $ 46,875
4. 530 George Ohr Rare Corseted Teapot $ 46,875
5. 749 Mary L. Yancey Iowa State Important Vase $ 45,000
6. 538 Tiffany Studios Rare Glazed Earthenware Milkweed Vase $ 42,500
7. 500 Alexander Fisher Triptych, "In Praise of Womanhood" $ 40,625
8. 645 Van Briggle Rare Vase $ 40,000
9. 41 Karl Kipp, Roycroft Rare Fernery $ 33,750
10. 933 Tiffany Studios Favrile Glass Vase $ 33,750
October 28, 2012: 20th/21st C. Design
- Hammer: $ 2,566,025
- Hammer + 25% buyer's premium: $ 3,207,531
- Low Estimate: $2,703,250
- High Estimate: $3,768,950
- Percent sold: 78%
- 9% of online bidders outside the U.S.: UK, Canada, Europe, Russia, Asia, Australia, Central America, South America, Middle East.
Sunday's Modern Highlighted Lots:
1. 1039 Wharton Esherick Double Pedestal Desk $ 62,500
2. 1000 George Nakashima Fine Minguren II Coffee Table $ 53,125
3. 1453 Harry Bertoia Untitled Sculpture (Bush) $ 53,125
4. 1451 Harry Bertoia Tall Sonambient Sculpture $ 50,000
5. 1002 George Nakashima Six Conoid Dining Chairs $ 36,250
6. 1452 Harry Bertoia Untitled Sculpture (Bush) $ 33,750
7. 1500 Finn Juhl, Niels Vodder Early Chieftain Chair $ 32,500
8. 1013 George Nakashima Hanging Wall Case $ 28,750
9. 1325 George Nakashima Cross-Legged Dining Table $ 26,250
10. 1027 Paul Evans, Directional Sculptured Metal Cabinet $ 25,000
Consignments are now being accepted for the next 20th C. Design auctions, March 2/3, 2013: 609.397.9374 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO THE EDITOR
High resolution images/more information available on request.
About Rago Arts and Auction Center
Since 1994, Rago's has served thousands of sellers and buyers with a singular blend of global reach and personal service. Originally specialists in 20th century design, today Rago's expertise covers centuries of fine art, decorative arts, furnishings, jewelry and ethnographic property. It is a world-class venue through which to buy and sell. It is also a destination for those who seek to learn and share knowledge about art, antiques and collecting, offering free valuations for personal property (from a single piece to collections and estates), appraisals and auction exhibitions in house and online. Rago's, the largest and leading auction house in New Jersey, is located midway between Philadelphia and New York.